Thursday, September 1, 2016

Dice and Things

I'm catching up on #RPGaDay2016. Today's prompts are: Aug 1-real dice, digital dice, or diceless system? and Aug 8-hardcover, softcover, or digital books?

I love the feel of well-made, wonderful physical objects. I must have weighty dice, or ones with interesting designs, and I'm a sucker for beautiful hardcovers (Maze of the Blue Medusa anyone?). Also, having a book at the table with bookmarks in is very handy as a reference.

That said, having dice and reference sheets on my phone is great, especially for pick-up games while out and about. But if I have an in-person game prepared in advance, nothing beats the semi-organized clutter of dice and papers and books at the game table.

I might change my mind once more PDFs have really good bookmarking and linking systems. It's easier to print out sheets and keep them in a file folder than to flip through a pdf and hope to get the right page with ctrl+f.

Most of the references I print out are random tables. I love randomizers of all kinds--dice, cards (playing, tarot, other oracle...), coins, tops, spinners. I like their unpredictability, I like giving them meaning and structure. I've played diceless systems before (and I don't mean like Minds Eye Theatre--I've LARPed Vampire and rock-paper-scissors is a great randomizer), online in free-form roleplaying chatrooms and PbP forums. They did not go anywhere. I think a randomizer is the quickest way to settle conflict resolution in a game, and descriptive, diceless systems I've seen have never satisfied. If someone could run a game of Amber or, like, The Window or something, that really showed me how if works that would be great. But til then, give me my tables and dice!

No comments:

Post a Comment