Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Atmospheric Conditions

Today's #RPGaDay2016 prompt is: describe the ideal game room if your budget were unlimited.

I'm a big fan of setting the right atmosphere for a game. I try to always have theme music and appropriate ambience playing for games I run. For some halloween one-shots in the past I've played around with everything from using only a glowing salt rock for lighting, to having players dress as their characters and hiding blood packs in my mouth to burst in coincidence with a hidden capgun going off. There's a pleasure in making the gaming environment theatrical.

One attempt I'm particularly proud of was a way of setting up Dread. I'd hidden a speaker under the gaming table, attached to my phone so I could secretly play sound effects and loud musical cues, separately from themed ambience I was looping on my computer. One sound was a blood-curdling scream, and it absolutely made the players JUMP. It would be unfair to do that if the Dread jenga tower was on the gaming table, so I came up with an idea that you absolutely should try: I set up the tower low on a coffee table away from the gaming table. Players had to get up and leave the comfort of the group to try actions, and physically kneel or bend uncomfortably to move a piece. I'd also dimmed the lights and set up a cheap LED spot, shining diagonally from below at the top of the tower. This lit the blocks very dramatically, and also cast a shadow stretching across the ceiling over the gaming table. This shadow grew longer and less regular as the game progressed, a constant imposing reminder of the tower -literally- looming over the players. I think for horror games in particular establishing a tense atmosphere is important, and I think this way of setting up Dread went a long way toward accomplishing that.

So: my ideal gaming room would allow a huge amount of control over -atmosphere-. At minimum the table would be surrounded by speakers and theatrical lighting. This allows us to establish a mood with coloured gels and music, and highlight certain items or moments with spots and sound effects that come from specific locations. I would also love to control smell, using scents to evoke a musty old library or a dank cave (a trick used by museums and immersive theatre, already being explored in RPGs) But my budget is unlimited, so what else can we add?

Projection mapping would be great--on the walls, ceiling, and the tabletop itself. It'd have a library of different environments, and the tabletop projection in particular would be interactive, to display maps and control stuff like fog of war. Holographic tech might be interesting, but there's something about the physicality of objects that really feels good. So of course each PC would have a gorgeous, custom-sculpted mini, and key game items could be realized as props--old parchments and spellbooks, a legendary sword, a deadly puzzle from a dungeon...

The table would be large, and solid, and a beautiful carved and varnished piece of wood, with comfortable surfaces for writing on and rolling dice, and holders for items like character sheets and pens. The chairs would be as ergonomic and cool-looking as we could get them--maybe a different set for each different setting. The walls would have paintings and sculptures depicting people and events from past campaigns.

And fuck it, throw in a fog machine too--oh wouldn't that be lovely for an unexpected trip to Ravenloft. The point is, I would want every tool at my disposal to immerse the players in the game world and get that atmosphere dead-on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment